academie: June-iversity

Miriam Robinson Gould madame_sosostris at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 18:30:25 PST 2001

>     I personally like Vard's suggestions for classes, but I have a thought
>take it one step further.  This University will be our chance to educate
>the
>public about renaissance dance, and my thought was that perhaps we should
>work towards presenting the various types of dances in the context of their
>sources (i.e.  Refer to Playford' Dance Master when talking of ECD, or
>Arbeau's Orchesographie when teaching bransles, etc.).  What I see so
>frequently happen (and I am as absolutely guilty of this as anyone else),
>is
>that we teach a dance that we learned from someone else, but never bother

I really agree with this, Judith, and even more I think we should teach
dances in context in our own dance classes as well as at University.  It
really doesn't take THAT much more time to say "the ballo Rostiboli Goioso
from Ebreo's treatise on dancing" or "Madame Sosilia's Almain from the Inns
of Court Manuscripts."  Announcing dances and sources makes certain that
everyone knows that these aren't dances that have simply come to us through
oral tradition or whole cloth, but are dances that are GROUNDED in solid
sources (*laugh* well, as solid as dance sources get to be) and come to us
through research and effort.  It also makes it clear and easy to distinguish
between GOOP and OOP dances and period dances.

Sayidda Tahira bint Ibrahim al-Ishbiliyya