academie: June-iversity

Judithsca at aol.com Judithsca at aol.com
Mon Feb 5 08:37:49 PST 2001

My thoughts are that since this particular area of the kingdom has been
pretty left out of the dance loop, we should volunteer to teach a full track
of classes, one per hour.  I don't know how often some of us from the north
are going to have the time and money to make the sojourn down to Bordervale
Keep, so I say we get the absolute most out of it.  I feel perfectly
confident that we will have the audience for a full track, and that also
gives people more chance to take a dance class because there will be more
options during the day (and more chance that the dance class will not
conflict with another class they want/need to take more).
    I personally like Vard's suggestions for classes, but I have a thought to
take it one step further.  This University will be our chance to educate the
public about renaissance dance, and my thought was that perhaps we should
work towards presenting the various types of dances in the context of their
sources (i.e.  Refer to Playford' Dance Master when talking of ECD, or
Arbeau's Orchesographie when teaching bransles, etc.).  What I see so
frequently happen (and I am as absolutely guilty of this as anyone else), is
that we teach a dance that we learned from someone else, but never bother to
memory glitches occur, and new elements get introduced to the original
dance---and thus the problem of the regional variation occurs, which can
cause friction at larger events that draw from larger areas.  (Also, some of
these variations might have absolutely nothing to do with any sort of period
practice---but that is just the pre-1650 snob talking.... ;)  In short, I was
thinking that maybe we could teach a bit more theory, thus verifying the
veracity of what we are teaching, even if only a little bit, in with our
practical classes.

mes deux centimes...
judith