academie: Heraldry Update

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 07:01:47 PST 2001

Oh dear, I wasn't serious!  I was going to take the badge, convert it to a
cross-stitch pattern, and see if I could make my own baldric this weekend
like the herald's baldric I already have.  I was figuring on making it blue
(the specific shade to match the color of the Aida cloth I use) with white
edging.  I do not know what the threadcount of the Aida cloth will be (which
I will have to get tonight from the craft store) but I'm expecting it will
be 18 (which will drive the size of the pattern).  I will need to take a
long, hard look at my heraldic baldric to remind myself how I did that one
before starting on a dance baldric.

Victoria, I have very little experience with the type of embroidery you
do... what is the "prep/finish work" you're talking about?  When you're
offering to do the machine embroidery, are you talking specifically about
embroidering the badge itself so that I may be attached onto something, or
perhaps are you talking about first having a baldric, and THEN embroidering
the badge onto it?  I'm so confused!  :)

>From a baldric-count perspective, I think we only technically require one
baldric for the Symposium -- that to be worn by the dance master/mistress
during the evening's Ball.  If we had multiple, they could be worn in class
by whomever was teaching that particular course.  Considering that we are
looking at three tracks of classes, I would think that having three baldrics
would cover all of our bases for right now.  Ultimately, everyone who will
be running a practice, teaching a class, or running a Ball will want a
baldric of their own, but for the Symposium, one is great, and three is
fantastically great.  More than three is overkill.

-Vard (crashing at Greg's, I believe)