academie: KWDS Lodging

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 11:23:55 PST 2001

I know, I know... it seems like there has been a flood of topics recently,
what with University, the Symposium, Coronation, and Twentieth Year.
Nevertheless, the following has a time-critical aspect to it, and those who
are thinking about attending the Known World Dance Symposium should be aware
of this.  You can get dorm rooms for approximately one-half to one-third of
what a hotel will cost, but you MUST let the KWDS staff know by TOMORROW
(Wed, 1/31) that you might want a room.  I have requested one room, others
who are planning to go should do likewise if they have not already, and
should do so immediately.

(From http://www.carolingia.org/KWDS/lodging.html)

Dorm rooms

We are offering no-frills lodging in university dormitory rooms, at a
substantial discount from typical Boston hotel prices. Current estimates are
approximately $45/night for single-occupancy rooms, $40/night/person double.
(These prices may change; room rates should be fixed by the end of January.)
These dorm rooms will be within easy walking distance to the event site
(about 10 minutes). PLEASE EMAIL ADELE (adele at carolingia.org) BT THE END OF
JANUARY IF YOU WANT A DORM ROOM! We will then contact you for the
nonrefundable deposit required to hold the room.

More details about the dorm rooms (policy dictated by Boston University):
These rooms are in Warren Towers, Boston University, about a 10-minute walk
from the event site. Each dorm room contains two single beds (linens are
provided). No more than two people may stay in a room (or one if reserved as
single-occupancy). Rooms are segregated by sex with communal bathrooms on
each floor. Married couples are the only permitted exception to the
single-sex per room rule, but unfortunately only single beds are available.
The bottom floors of the building are parking levels. Parking fees are
extra. A nonrefundable deposit (about $30) is required to reserve a room.
Pets are not allowed. The Boston University policy on children staying in
the same room with their parents will be posted as soon as we know it. Cribs
are not available.

Hotels

If you prefer to stay in a hotel, we recommend reserving rooms as early as
possible. Boston hotels fill quickly and room rates are high.

Crash Space

We expect crash space to be extremely limited and encourage people to take
advantage of the dorm rooms mentioned above. The coordinator of crash space
is Lady Godith Anyon. (rvoris at mailandnews.com)