academie: new approaches

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Jan 17 10:21:37 PST 2001

> If we want to popularize the period dances maybe instead of
> taking a negative stance towards GOOP dances we should take an
> enthusiastically positive stance towards period dances.

"We" have been doing this for years. If you're running a dance and ask
me for advice, I'd be happy to fill your ears with information about
interesting period dances of a variety of types and difficulties, such
as "The Pinwheel", a dance that involves sharking and is easy enough
to dance without ever being taught. It's from Negri's 1602 manual...
one of those dances he looks down his nose at because it's *popular*.

-- Gregory Blount