academie: Sorry, wrong room

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Jan 16 13:10:29 PST 2001

First, I should note that Lady Kat unsubscribed from the Academie list
after sending her message. While I have addressed this message to her
personally, if anyone else would like to discuss my note, please
send it only to the list; should she choose to resubscribe, she can go
read the archive for what she's missed. It's extremely important to
respect the right of someone to leave a conversation.

> I joined the Academie because of its laudable goal of promoting period
> dance in Atlantia.  To me, promoting one thing is vastly different from
> suppressing something else.

You are correct. The problem is that it's difficult to promote the one
without occasionally being perceived to be suppressing the other. And
in the current discussion we also had a problem with people giving
advice that wasn't really wanted, and a bit of "piling on" concerning
an issue that isn't settled and never will be.

The Academie's goal is to promote period dance. This means that if an
event is "sponsored" by the Academie, it shouldn't have significant
GOOP (grossly out of period) dancing. This also means that the
Academie can't hijack an event where the person who is running dance
wants to have GOOP dancing. Academie members are free to do whatever
they like on their own time, but please don't don the Academie mantle
if you're doing post-period dance.

In this case (12th Night), despite all our discussions about how the
Academie should volunteer to run the dancing, the autocrat asked Lord
Arcturus personally to run dance. I don't recall if he ever asked the
Academie to sponsor the dancing, so we probably hijacked it (Bad
Academie Members, no biscuit # 1). In addition, there was a lot of
advice offered to Arcturus and James on this list about the types of
dance at the ball. Such advice should be offered when asked for, but I
don't recall Arcturus asking for advice. And James, organizing the music,
definitely isn't the person to ask anything other than "is the band
willing to play/capable of playing GOOP tunes?" So there's a Bad
Academie Members # 2. There's also a Bad Academie Members # 3, in that
there are a fair number of people saying "we" in their postings, but
are only offering personal opinions.

It's fair to say that these 3 things together given the impession of
discouraging post-period dancing, instead of encouraging period
dancing. And I hope that we (I'm allowed to say "we", I'm the
Chancelier ;-) will do better about this in the future.

Personally, I know I'm terrible about offering unsolicited advice. So
please don't use me as a role model when I'm falling down on the job.

I could respond to Lady Kat's arguments at the end of her letter about
why she believes that post-period dancing can still play a role in the
SCA. But I won't, because I don't think she wishes to discuss it at
this time. The important thing is that we should respect her opinions,
and that we should discuss them if she's interested in doing so, but
not discuss them if she is not.

I look forward to seeing you all on the dance floor. And I hope that
Lady Kat will be interested in rejoining the Academie mailing list.

Gregory Blount
Chancelier, L'Academie Atlantienne de la Danse