academie: Academie Heraldry

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 16 08:03:12 PST 2001

Yes, there are a couple of other charges that aren't commonly seen in
heraldry outside of Atlantia... tridents and scallop shells for example...
but the one charge that is universally recognized as being "Atlantian" is
Spike.

Different kingdoms use different charges....  In the Middle, its a Dragon.
In AEthelmearc, its an escarbuncle.  A trillium flower in Ealdormere, a
triskeli in Trimaris, etc.  For Atlantia, the "instantly recognizable"
charge is Spike, either in white or blue.

I know, I know.  I do some embroidery too, and I know what a pain things
like wavy fesses and unicornate natural seahorses are to stitch.  Our
baronial mascot in Dun Carriag is a SeaDog... and I know that YOU know
first-hand what a pain in the butt THAT is to embroider.  :)

Alas, the letter from Their Majesties that I was given grants the Academie
permission to use Spike on our badge.  It is very specific in that regard.
We *could* use another charge like a trident or an scallop shell, something
that would not require permission from anyone, but I would expect TRMs might
like to know why we did NOT use the charge that They had given us.

-Vard