academie: Sorry, wrong room (was: Hot off the presses!)

Christoph & Sherry Hintze chhintze at clis.com
Sun Jan 14 08:35:47 PST 2001

I realize that this is not going to make me a popular person in this forum,
and I regret that I am going to offend some of you.  But I have given this
some thought and feel that it would be wrong of me to feel so strongly and
not speak up.  I did not mail this before 12th Night because I did not want
to drop a bomb before that event.

I joined the Academie because of its laudable goal of promoting period
dance in Atlantia.  To me, promoting one thing is vastly different from
suppressing something else.  I have always favored tolerence and inclusion
over snobbery and exclusion.  I understand Academie members have strong
feelings about GOOP dances, and I respect their right to despise them, not
to teach them, and not to include them in dance activities those members plan.

But no charter, no title, no amount of historical knowledge, no personal
agenda gives you or anyone else the right to dictate to me that *I* may not
dance or teach them.

If what I have heard here in this thread is indicative of what the Academie
stands for, then I cannot in good conscience represent it, nor can it claim
to represent me.  Please remove my name from the rolls.

For the record, though I do not support introducing any GOOP dances to the
SCA, I feel that it is reasonable to continue to teach and dance dances
currently done in the SCA, such as Hole in the Wall, Female Sailor, Road to
the Isles, and Korobushka for the following reasons:

1)  They are fun.  When I talk to people who do "a little bit" of dance in
the SCA, some or all of these dances are consistently mentioned as
favorites.  There's a lot to be said for that, and getting people on the
floor is to me a worthwhile goal.

2)  They are an SCA tradition.  I have been in the SCA for nearly 13 years
and have many fond memories of these dances.  Many other "old as dirt"
SCAdians feel similarly.  I cannot bring myself to declare war on something
that means so much to so many people, and I don't see why I should.

3)  They are popular in other Kingdoms.  New members from out of Kingdom
frequently know them.  Atlantians who move to other Kingdoms or attend
inter-Kingdom events such as Pennsic likely will encounter them.  In my
mind, common ground is a Good Thing (TM).

4)  To my mind, Hole in the Wall and Female Sailor provide a bridge in
difficulty between "simple" dances like bransles, pavanes, almains, etc and
"complex" dances such as ECD.  Once again, the more people on the floor and
willing to learn, the better, in my mind.

Anyway, it's sure been swell being involved in the Academie and I've
enjoyed meeting those of you I've met.  I wish you all well.

Lady Kat