academie: Favorite Dances

Christoph & Sherry Hintze chhintze at clis.com
Thu Dec 21 04:26:17 PST 2000

scripset Vard:

>I have a quick question for everyone.  When you go to an event, do you
>have favorite dances that you look forward to dancing?

Well, you did promise not to be judgemental, so I'm going to go out on a
limb a little....I'm not sure I can narrow my list down to five either.  <G>

My top two favorite dances are the horrendously OOP (20th cty) Korobushka
and SCA Road to the Isles.  I don't know if it's because they're among the
first dances I learned a long time ago in a Barony far, far away, or if
it's because they're such lively, fast-stepping dances - but I adore them
both.  (Sorry, Vard!)  I like Hole in the Wall and Female Sailor, too, but
they probably wouldn't make the list of favorites.

Moving closer to SCA acceptability, I really like Rufty Tufty and Heart's
Ease.  Sellinger's Ronde is not necessarily a top-five-favorite, but it's
good fun.  I also enjoy Chestnut, probably more than Sellinger's, and
though I haven't done them much, Whirligig and Scotch Cap.  I like
Trenchmore, too - wasn't a version published close to period?  Millar,
maybe?  I don't have the book I found the reference in handy to look it up.

Though I've only done them once each I enjoyed Petit Vriens and
Anello.  Unfortunately, I lack the music for one and have two conflicting
versions of the other that both conflict with the one I learned at
University, so I will have a hard time promulgating them until I have
danced them more.

I know a lot of bransles & like them, but none stands out as a favorite.  I
do Horse's a lot.  Haven't done enough Almains to know them well enough for
a favorite there, but I'd like to do more.  Of pavanes, I enjoy Carolingian
and Mannschaft, though that's probably due to familiarity - I'd probably
like other pavanes equally well if I got to know them.

Okay, I will stop and narrow down to a list of five....and even throw out
my two OOP faves:
In no particular order, dances I like to do at events:

Rufty Tufty
Hear't Ease
Chestnut
Horse's Bransle
Carolingian Pavane

So, Vard, are you going to list your favorites...?  You DID start this,
after all.  <G>

Lady Kat
enjoying this thread immensely