academie: preliminary note.

James C. Wagner Jr. james at cds.duke.edu
Wed Dec 6 07:40:38 PST 2000

Hey guys,

I've been out sick for bacisally 10 days. 9 days ago, I was asked to be in
charge of arranging musicials for 12h night. I've already got a few plans
in the works. We will, hopefully, have live musicians for all 4 hours of
dancing. I've already arranged for someone to put together a singing group
to sing some of the dances (yep, there are period words to quite a few
of the dances and I've pushed that secret project out into the open. *grin*)

Also, I'm working on having a number of different preformance groups so
everyone can have a chance to dance as well.

Ok, here's my nightmare. We're having 12th night in a convention Center.
(They're going to hang pavilions from the ceiling.) A group of period
instruments is going to have their sound bounce off the follr and go straight
up to the ceiling and noone will ever be able to hear them.  Has anyone
here ever worked with amplifying of period instruments? I've worked numerous
times with other groups where they're just naturally louder anyway.

I've already had one group suggested to me and I would like to have a pick-up
band. (ala Revels at the Inns of Court in Jan-Feb)  I need to find a place
that could sponsor a practice for these folks. I'd like to shoot for Jan 2.
(that way, folks will still be on vacation and I can make it up and back..)
I thought the best way to do this is to have someone (Academie?) hold dance
practice for 12th night at the same time.  I'm going to ask for folks on the
south (i.e. Charlotte and south) to host one as well. Maybe on Jan 3rd. That
way, I can hit most folks that are interested.

Also, as it's no-teach for all 4 hours, this would give folks an opportunity
to learn.

Ok, that's about all I can think of in my medicated state. Let me know what
everyone thinks!

James
james at cds.duke.edu