academie: 12th Night dance list

Mack2357 at aol.com Mack2357 at aol.com
Mon Dec 4 17:23:56 PST 2000

Forwarded by request . . .

I apologize for this taking so long - there was a snafu communicating
with
the person in charge of the musicians.

This is a tentative dance list. I am putting it out so that people can
suggest dances that aren't here or express concerns about some of these
dances. I will post a revised list in a week that will have all of the
dances at the ball. I chose these dances because I feel they are a good
mix
of easy, moderate, and difficult dances and are also fairly
representative
of the dances that were popular in period and in the SCA culture. I also

have tapes or CDs, or access to music, for all of them.

This is a pretty long list. One of my concerns is that the ball will
contain
enough unusual dances that the casual dancer will not know many of the
songs. One possibility that I am entertaining is to eliminate a few of
the
less common dances and repeat some of the better known ones twice (once
in
each ball). I am trying to balance the desires of the dancing community
with
the knowledge of the average SCAdian. I don't want the dance enthusiast
become bored or disenchanted. However, I also don't want a large number
of
potential dancers on the sidelines because they don't know the dance. I
would appreciate some feedback on this.

The schedule is showing two balls, one from 2:00 - 4:00 and another from

8:00 - 10:00. My current plan is to divide each ball into two sets with
(very) short break in between each set. The first ball will consist
entirely
of period music. All of the OOP dances, as well as many period ones,
will be
played in the second set. Most of the dances will only be played through

once, although some of the popular dances might be repeated in
succession.
An example of this is the Black Nag, which could have three iterations
with
the front couple changing each time. Of course, most of the bransles
will
have multiple iterations.

I won't decide on the exact order of the dances until I finalize the
dance
list. I am planning on mixing fast-paced dances with slower dances. Most
of
the bransles will be done in bransle suites.

I am not planning on having any teaching at the ball. I will find out if

there will be room at the site for a quick refresher course. I am going
publish a small dance cheat sheet like the one that Judith and Vard made
for
last year's Twelfth Night ball. During the ball, I will announce each
dance
and state the basic requirements, such as sets of three couples, etc.
For
the bransles suites I haven't decided whether to call when the dance
changes
or not.

I invite any suggestions or comments on my plans. I can be reached at
this
email address (arcturus at robbinshouse.com) or at home at 919-304-6074
before
9:00pm. I would also like any volunteers to help at the ball or for
teaching
during the event (if this is possible).

If someone could forward this on to the Dance Academie list I would
appreciate it.

Bransles:
Candlestick
Cassandra
Charlotte
Clog
Horses
Maltese (from Arbeau)
Montard
Official
Pease
Pinagay
War
Washerwoman's

Almains:
Black
Lorayne
Madam Sosilia
Old
Queen's

Pavanes:
Earl of Salisbury
Quadran

Italian Rennaisance:
Amoroso
Anello
Galliards
Gelosia
La Spagna
La Spagnoletto
Leoncello
Petit Vriens
Rostiboli Gioioso

English Country:
Black Nag
Boatman
Dull Sir John
Gathering Peascods
Heart's Ease
Hyde Park
Jenny Pluck Pears
John Tallow's Canon
Merry Merry Milk Maids
Newcastle
Parson's Farewll
Picking of Sticks
Rufty Tufty
Sellenger's Round
Upon a Summer's Day
Whirligig

Out of Period (OOP) or SCA-Invented Dances:
Carolingian Pavane
Female Sailor
Hole in the Wall
Koroboushka
Mannschaft Pavane
SCA Maltese Bransle (Turkish Bransle)
Trenchmore

Arcturus

Lord Arcturus Aleator
Seneschal of Buckston-on-Eno in Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia
aka Jim Robbins
arcturus at robbinshouse.com

"If builders built buildings like programmers write programs then the
first
woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization."
- Anonymous software user