academie: Dance Classes for University

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 14 07:32:16 PST 2000

Lord Richard:

L'Academie Atlantienne de la Danse would be happy to offer the following
three classes for the upcoming February session of University:

15th C. Social Dance: An Introduction - Edvard Gayer (Ken Buzzard) (1 hour)
-- A long time ago, in a funny little boot-shaped country far, far away,
bored Italians had to come up with something to do between the ragu and the
romancin'.  What they invented was a seductive, flirtatious, and not
terribly complicated form of dance which is currently sweeping the SCA by
storm!  Students will be introduced to several steps unique to Italian
dance, and will learn dances such as "Gelosia", "Anello" and that
crowd-favorite "Petit Vriens".  (Beginners welcome.  Class is a recommended
prerequisite for the Intermediate 15th C. Italian class.)

15th C. Social Dance: The Madness Continues - Judith de Northumbria and
Edvard Gayer (Rachael Lorenz and Ken Buzzard) (1 hour) -- This class will be
geared towards those who have experienced the joys of beginner Italian
dance, and are ready to experience the next level of the Grand Ol´Conspiracy
of Renaissance Italy.  Participants should have some knowledge of the basic
steps, though they will be reviewed as a warm up at the beginning of class.
Possible dances to be taught: Rosti Boli, Amoroso, Colonesse, Marchesana,
Leoncello.  All dances will be reviewed at the end of the class for the sake
of practice and memory.

Advanced English Country Dance - Stefan of Cambion and Evelynne Merrymet
(Stephen Kiefert and Rita Jane Leasure) (1 hour) -- This class will go
beyond the usual ECD dance pattern of doubles/siding/arming with a chorus
and teach more interesting ones from Playford's book such as Parson's
Farewell, Saint Martin's, Whirligig, and Newcastle.  These are more
complicated dances than are usually taught at events and are not meant for
beginners. You will have an opportunity to do them in the dancing after the
feast that evening.

Richard: I realize that you do not often get an opportunity to pre-screen
the rooms that are assigned, but if you *are* afforded that chance for this
upcoming session, it would be nice if our dance classes were assigned to a
much larger room than last time.  We were a bit handcuffed by our limited
space in Wilmington and could have easily used half-again what we had.
Dancing takes-up a lot of room, and we will certainly be able to fill-up
whatever you can give us. :)

Yours,
// Vard //

Lord Edvard Gayer, Secretary