academie: Windmasters' Hill Baronial Dance Update

ThatUrsula at aol.com ThatUrsula at aol.com
Mon Nov 6 12:59:59 PST 2000

Note:  The Barony of Windmasters' Hill is located in central North Carolina -
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Fayetteville and Fuquay-Varina and surrounding
areas

Greetings, Noble Cousins.

Only 68 dance practice and mask-making days until Atlantian Kingdom Twelfth
Night!

LAST NIGHT'S DANCE WORKSHOP IN KAPPELLENBERG
We had nine dancers at night's (5 Nov) dance workshop at UNC-Chapel
Hill.  We covered:

Petit Rien (an easy Italian dance for 3 people - AKA "Italian bumper
cars")
John Tallow's Cannon (with the correct music)

Black Almain

Official Bransle (we tried it with turning the ladies by the hand
instead of tossing them - this variation was well received, but next
time we'll alternate twirling the ladies and then the men so that no one
gets dizzy)

Heart's Ease

Saltarello la Regina (Renaissance Aerobics!  We found that for those
with bad knees, it's a good idea to bob instead of hop while learning
and practicing this dance).

UPCOMING PRACTICES IN KAPPELLENBERG
Come brush up on old favorites or learn new ones! The next practices
will take place from 8-10 PM on the following Sunday nights:  Nov. 19th,
and Dec.10th. The place is the UNC Student Union in Chapel Hill, rooms
211-212 (upstairs).  More specific information and directions will be
posted about a week before each practice.

DANCE WORKSHOP IN BUCKSTON THIS TUESDAY (7 NOV)
(Copied and pasted from a recent posting - I strongly recommend that any
dance enthusiasts attend this workshop!  Rostibolli Gioioso RULES!):
Sayidda Tahira bint Ibrahim al-Ixbilyi will be running it as a 15th
Century Italian dance workshop.  15th C. Italian dancing is a fun,
flirtatious dance style which is becoming ever-inceasingly popular
throughout Atlantia and the Known World.  Once you try it, you'll know
why!  She will try and keep the focus of the class on the dances
(including Rostiboli Goioso - YAY!) but she also intends to give some of
the social context for Italian dancing and a little bit of information
on the sources (E.G. what we know and what we're guessing at).  Buxton
meetings start at 7:15.  The dance class will follow the meetings.  (The
full directions are posted in Tahira's original message, which was
posted to the Keep today - let us know if you need them.)

MORE DANCE IN BUCKSTON
Dance workshops will take place after the meetings in Buckston on the
following dates (meetings start at 7:15 on Tuesdays):  Dec. 5 and Jan. 2

"TWELFTH NIGHT WORKSHOPS" IN BUCKSTON
(I got this information from the online baronial calendar - I'm assuming
that these are mask-making workshops - if anyone can confirm this or
give more detail, please post to the Keep.) These take place after the
Buckston meetings on these dates:  Dec. 12 and Dec. 19.

THE DAY-LONG BARONIAL DANCE WORKSHOP RUMOUR
Arcturius is seeking a location for a day-long dance workshop.  Lady
Rosalind is checking into locations on the UNC Campus.  Lord Dunstan has
also offered to check into an outdoor pavilion at William B. Umstead
State Park if we're interested.  That's all I know for sure about the
whole thing - if anyone has any updates, please pass them on.

MASQUED BALL AT ATLANTIAN TWELFTH NIGHT (13 January)
The latest information is that this past Saturday, Duchess Luned placed
Lord Arcturus Aleator (Buckston's Seneschal) in charge of the dancing at
Twelfth Night.  I'll be bugging him shortly about what dances we'll be
doing and what kind of help he'll be needing.  His contact infomration
is (arcturus at pobox.com (919) 304-6074 (NLT 10pm).

LINKS TO ONLINE DANCE INFORMATION
To be posted shortly!

That's it for now.