academie: Event Flyer for the Atlantian Dance Symposium

Oxford, David dmo at pqa.com
Thu Nov 2 11:34:38 PST 2000

Greetings all!

Here's the official flyer for the Symposium, as submitted to the Kingdom
Chronicler.  Most of what you need to know is in here, and be sure to follow the
link to the website for more information, including the list of classes planned
so far.

Also note, the pre-reg site fee is $7 till Feb 1st, then $10.  Just a little
incentive to go ahead and reserve early for the event, for the sanity of your
autocrat.

Atlantian Dance Symposium/Nothing But Dance
Isenfir - February 17th, 2001

CLASSES - To brighten the dark days of winter, L'Academie Atlantienne de la
Danse will be sponsoring an entire day of classes and workshops on all areas of
European dance, hosted by the Shire of Isenfir.  Instructors and teachers from
all over Atlantia, AEthelmearc, Meridies, East Kingdom, and kingdoms beyond will
descend upon Isenfir to offer up a selection of classes for every level of dance
enthusiast, from the complete beginner to the seasoned dance "old timer."  Here
is your opportunity to learn the things you've always wanted to know about
Renaissance dance, but never had the chance to.  Classes will include both
practical, on-your-feet dance classes, as well as sit-down
lectures/discussions/round-tables.  Everything a dancer in the SCA could want to
know.

BALL - And what day of dance classes would be complete without an entire evening
of dance to top it off?  If you've been repeatedly frustrated by events that
promise dancing but don't deliver, here's your chance to make it all up, plus
some.  After a break for everyone to get some dinner on their own, we will have
an evening of dance that will go until the last person has had all they can
stand.   This ball will be conducted in a style similar to the Caroso-style
balls you may have seen before, where most everyone will get to pick a dance of
their choice.  Show off the new stuff you learned during the day, or just enjoy
a long evening of dancing.

TEACHERS - While we've got lots of classes planned already, we want even more!
If you've got something dance-related you can share with others, be it simply
how to ornament bransle steps or the nuances of translating original Italian
dance manuscripts, your fellow dance mavens want to learn it!  Contact the class
coordinator, Tatiana Miroslavovna (see below), and tell her the name of your
proposed class, a description, your SCA and mundane names, and your contact
information.

Be sure to visit http://www.virginia.edu/~isenfir/nothingbutdance for more
details, a full listing of the current class offerings, links to directions and
maps, lodging information, and more.

Tentative Schedule

8:00 am  - Site opens
10:00 am - Business meeting of L'Academie Atlantienne
           de la Danse -- open to everyone!
12:00 pm - Classes begin
6:00 pm  - Classes end -- Everyone has two hours to
           get dinner at one of the nearby restaurants
8:00 pm  - Ball begins
Late     - Ball ends

Feast: There isn't one!  There are dozens of places to eat within 10 minutes of
the site (several within 1 minute), from cheap fast food to fancy sit-down
meals.  Go out, grab some food, and get back for the dancing!

Cost: $7 pre-registered by Feb 1st, $10 at the door.  Send all paid reservations
to the autocrat.

Class
Coordinator: Pomestnitsa Tatiana Miroslavovna (Sharon Buczko)
             14197 Lotus Lane #631
             Centreville VA 20120
             (703) 815-2492 [H] (NLT 11pm)
             sharon at cybernothing.org

Autocrat: Lord Bryan Morgan (David Oxford)
          765 Verdant Lawn Ln
          Charlottesville, VA 22903
          (804) 979-3792 [H] (NLT 11pm)
          (804) 979-3700 [W]
          dmo at pqa.com

Location: Charlottesville Municipal Arts Center (1119 Fifth St, SW,
Charlottesville, VA 22902)

Directions:

Take your best route to Charlottesville, VA, either by I-64 or Rt. 29

>From I-64: Take Exit 120 (Fifth St./Rt. 631), and at the top of the ramp turn
north onto Fifth St. toward Charlottesville (turn right if coming from the east,
left if coming from the west).  Go 0.6 miles to the 2nd traffic light and turn
LEFT onto Harris Rd.  There is an F&M bank on the corner here. Follow directions
below for "Once on Harris Rd."

>From the North on Rt. 29: Take 29 South to Charlottesville. Eventually you'll
pass a Holiday Inn, Krispy Creme, and KFC on the right. You should be in the
second lane from the right (not in the rightmost lane). Very shortly thereafter,
you will come to an overpass at Rt. 29/Rt. 250. Go underneath the overpass and
take the on-ramp up to get onto Rt. 250E.  Pass thru one real and one emergency
traffic light. At the third traffic light turn right onto McIntire Rd. On
McIntire, go straight thru the four traffic lights (McIntire Rd. will become
Ridge St. along the way, then Fifth St.).  At the 5th traffic light turn RIGHT
onto Harris Rd.  Follow directions below for "Once on Harris Rd."

Once on Harris Rd:  IMMEDIATELY past the F&M Bank on the corner, take the 1st
LEFT. Go about 50 yards and turn into the parking lot on the left (the second
turn-in; the first is into the F&M parking lot). As you are facing the
buildings, MAC is the last one on the right.  If there are no spaces in this
lot, you may park in the adjacent shopping center lot.