academie: Revels Dance Masters/Instructors Needed!

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 25 09:20:04 PDT 2000

Forwarded from Elspeth:
--------------
Unto the esteemed members of the Atlantian Academie of Dance,
greetings!! I come in search of the same wonderful support and enthusiasm
that made Revels last year such a mamorable event for us all. The event is
set in the year 1539, during the reign of Henry VIII, and I would like to
hear from anyone who would like to volunteer to either (1) co-ordinate all
the dancing, both the classes and the ball, or (2) teach a particular type
of dance fitting to the period. I hope to have a class on the Eight Old
Measures of the Inns of court, since that is sort of the signature for the
event, a calss on pavans and galliards, basse dances and tourdions, since
those were apparently a large part of the balls of the day, some early
Italians, and perhaps a bransle suite. Unfortunately, since I personally
love ECD, we won't be doing any of that this year. Some thoughts of mine
are:

Design a suite of the Eight Old Measures, say 2 repeats of each of the first
four, and one repeat of each of the last four, to be done as a single group
at least once in the evening, maybe twice if it dances well,

Teach and dance some of the other almans and dances that are documented as
Inns of court dances, but not included in the EOM,

Possibly organize a formal pavan into the ball, if not at the beginning then
  after the interlude,

A class in galliard and tourdion techniques for dancing style and step
variations, if there are documented ones ( I have seen a buch that looked
neat, but have no clue how many of them ore actually period).

If any of this tickles your fancy, and you wish to be part of Revels staff
this year, please contact me by Sunday, Oct. 29th so that we may begin
setting the order of dance and making sure arranged music is available for
our live music groups.

Thanks again for all of your support..... Elspeth of Harilow