academie: KWDS '99 Course Listing

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 16 14:17:50 PDT 2000

I was digging around my old bookmarks and found the original listing of
classes from the 1999 Known World Dance Symposium, held outside of St. Louis
in May.  (KWDS 2001 is in Boston next Spring/Summer).

For those thinking about classes we might want to offer at the Symposium,
the following info might help get the juices flowing.

-Vard
-------------
Friday May 21 / European Classes
3:30 - 5:00pm
- Advanced ECD
- Snooty Walking Dances
- Dances from Il Papa Manuscript
5:00 - 6:30pm
- Laura Gentile
- Morris Dance
- The Volta
- Running a Ball
6:30 - 7:30pm
- Dinner
7:30 - 10:00pm
- Open Dancing

Friday May 21 / Near Eastern Classes
3:30 - 5:00pm
- Basic to Intermediate Middle Eastern Dance
5:00 - 6:30pm
- Basic to Intermediate Middle Eastern Dance (continued)

Saturday May 22 / European Classes
9:00 - 10:30am
- 15th Century Social Dances
- Canario
- Negri's Square Dances
- Teaching Techniques
10:30 - 12:00n
- Arbeau's Bransles
- Canario (cont)
- Peasant Dances
- The Gresley Manuscript
12:00 - 1:00pm
- Lunch
1:00 - 2:30pm
- The Old Measures
- 15th Century Advanced
- Vikings DO TOO Dance!
- Mannerism in Dance
2:30 - 4:00pm
- The Old Measures (cont)
- Leggiadra Marina
- German Renaissance Dance
- Reconstruction from Il Ballarino
4:00 - 5:30pm
- ECD: Three Couple Dances
- 15th Century Dance: Another Tradition
- Japanese Court Dance
- Medieval Dance
5:30 - 7:00pm
- Dinner
7:00 - 12:00m
- European Ball
- Near Eastern Hafla

Saturday May 22 / Near Eastern Classes
9:00 - 10:00am
- Line Dance
- Beginning-Intermediate Middle Eastern Drum
10:00 - 11:00am
- Beginning Middle Eastern Dance
- Beginning-Intermediate Middle Eastern Drum (cont)
11:00 - 12:00n
- Intermediate Middle Eastern Dance
- Beginning-Intermediate Middle Eastern Drum (cont)
12:00 - 1:00pm
- Lunch
1:00 - 2:00pm
- Beginning Veil
- Further Middle Eastern Drum Techniques
2:00 - 3:00pm
- Zills
- Further Middle Eastern Drum Techniques (cont)
3:00 - 4:00pm
- Sampling of Folkloric Line Dances
- Further Middle Eastern Drum Techniques (cont)
4:00 - 5:00pm
- Guedra Drum Class
- Guedra Trance Class

Sunday May 23 / All Classes