academie: ADS - Middle Eastern and other issues

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Oct 3 13:39:09 PDT 2000

> And one other thing...  Will people be offended if we just say go
> find your own dinner and be back in two hours?

I don't know about "offended", but they may not come back. Isenfir has
some good cooks who have proven that they can do good, cheap food, and
lots of it, and on time. A quick feast means more dancing. Lack of
on-site prep space is a challenge, but the event probably will be small
enough that it can be done.

BTW, the format for the Ball does have one risk -- it may end up with
a bad mixture of dances. If you're writing the set list, you can make
sure that the more popular dances alternate with the less popular,
simple alternate with complex, etc. What if you get all 5 15th century
Italians called for in a row because people pick partners who happen
to like the same style? No big deal at a Caroso Ball, but a big problem
for social dancing.

If you want to see how that works, then just sit around at dance
practice and have a series of people say what dance they'd pick and
what partner. You'll get extremely unevent distributions.

-- Gregory Blount