academie: Middle Eastern at ADS/NBD?

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 07:50:22 PDT 2000

ME dancing *is* part of our charter, as David points out.  It was included
on purpose, because we want the Academie to be "inclusive" to cover all
forms of period dance.  I personally know very little about ME dance --
that's why there are experts.  If there is interest in having ME dance at
the Symposium, I would think that would be a good thing.

But I've got a couple of questions, anyone got an answer:

1 - From what I've seen, ME dancing is done to a LOT of drumming.
Considering that there will be instruction going on in ALL of our
classrooms, wouldn't this present a distraction?

2 - If so, is the site large enough that the ME folks could be segregated to
provide a "buffer zone" so that there's no interference?

3 - How do we gauge how much interest would there be in ME dancing, and
whether we might want to dedicate an entire track to it?

4 - How many simultaneous classes can we support at the Symposium anyway?
If the answer is 3-4 (like I think it is), and if the majority of people
coming would be there for European dancing (like I think they would, but I
could be wrong), do the numbers justify us dedicating a track to ME dancing
as question #3 above suggests?

Personally, I would like to see ME dancing at the Symposium.  It prevents
any "us versus them" type of arguments from ever starting, and it would give
us an opportunity to grow into that area AND pick up new members at the same
time.  All of these are positives.  I would just like to ensure that if we
do this, we do this in a smart manner.

-Vard