academie: training more teachers

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Sep 25 12:59:58 PDT 2000

I recently corresponded with an Academie member who had moved to a new
group. They were starting a dance practice, but made a very curious
comment: "I wish I had more experience teaching. In my old group,
there was always a more experienced teacher around, so I never got to
teach."

This is a bad thing, and we need to prevent it from happening. If you
lead a dance practice, it's a good idea to find people who want to
learn to teach, and work with them to teach a dance evey practice. And
if you'd like to learn to teach but your local practice already has a
strong leader, volunteer to teach.

This can also work well at events. Many events have a lot of dances
that get taught, and it's a great chance for newer teachers to
practice teaching. It just takes a little coordination, and
recognition by everyone that having more teachers is a good idea.

The more teachers we train, the more groups will get local practices,
and the more resilient practices will become to their teachers moving
or burning out.

-- Gregory Blount