academie: Sources for _The English Dancing Master_

Oxford, David dmo at pqa.com
Sun Sep 24 09:31:32 PDT 2000

Greetings All,

For those of you who might be interested, I thought I'd let you know about a
couple of sources for acquiring the Dance Books Ltd 1984 republication of the
1933 "reprint" of the 1651 (first) edition of Playford's _The English Dancing
Master_ with music in modern notation (with a couple minor musical corrections
based on subsequent editions ... noted in brackets).

Some of you have no doubt seen copies of this floating around, but it's pretty
hard to come by in the US.  Amazon.com has the book on a 3-5 week backorder.
However, it's easy to come by in England, and they ship! :)  You can go one of
two routes, both of which cost about the same.  First, you can order directly
from the publisher (Dance Books Ltd), which is what I did (I ordered 6 copies).
Their stock number for the book is 2669-PB and they can be reached at:

Dance Books Ltd
http://www.dancebooks.co.uk/
15 Cecil Court, London, WC2N 4EZ, UK
Tel: +44 20 7836 2314, Fax: +44 20 7497 0473
Email: orders at dancebooks.co.uk

You can order from their website, or you can call them.  I did both.  They're
very nice people, and delighted to send you stuff.  The cost from them is £8.00
(that's 8 British Pounds if your mail program doesn't interpret extended
characters), plus shipping, which by Royal Air Post is £2.75 for one book, £2.63
each for two, £2.17 each for three, etc.  Air Post took 5 days for me (shipped
Monday, received Friday).

If you prefer to support big business instead, Amazon's UK division
(amazon.co.uk) shows the book's availability as "Usually Ships in 24 Hours".
Their price is also £8.00, but the postage/handling is a little more... £2.95
plus £2.00 per book.  If you have a profile with Amazon.com, it's also available
to you at Amazon.co.uk.

And if you're wondering how much £8.00 is in real money, Friday's exchange rate
was £1 = $1.458.  Like I said, I ordered 6 books (£58.50 including shipping),
and my credit card was billed $84.45. (I got a slightly better rate the day I
was billed :)

Anyway, consider this a public service announcement.  It's a really cool book,
and unless you've got your own facsimile of the original, it's a must-have
addition to your personal library.