academie: Welcome new Academie members!

Christoph & Sherry Hintze chhintze at clis.com
Sat Sep 2 09:12:41 PDT 2000

At 05:05 PM 8/31/00 -0400, Vard wrote:
>Happy last-day-of-the-second-third-of-the-year everybody!  I wanted to
>take a moment to welcome the three newest members of the Academie to our fold:
>
>- Lady Katriona of Northwoods (chhintze at clis.com) joined the Academie a
>few weeks ago, but I failed to tell everyone about her.  She's from
>Cathanar (NC).

since Vard has led me (metaphorically) onto the floor, I guess it behooves
me to introduce myself.....

In modern life, I am a mother of two and part time file clerk.  I live on
the NC coast, about an hour east of New Bern.  In the SCA, I guess a bit of
everything.

I got into SCA dance about the same time I got into the SCA, around 1988 in
the Barony of NorthWoods (Lansing, MI).  In 1992, I moved to the Shire of
Cathanar, on the NC coast, and dance got put on a back burner due to both
my mundane life and the need to concentrate on other areas of the SCA (like
holding offices so we could still have a group....)  In the past couple of
years, I have participated in Tryon Palace's Colonial Dance Assemblies
(which feature a good number of English Country dances that I have danced
in SCA) and this year have joined the Craven Historical Dancers, who also
focus on the colonial period

It looks like finally my life has gotten to the point where I can
concentrate on SCA dance again.

I have to admit, though I have danced a LOT in the Midrealm, and done a
fair amount of dancing since, and even taught SCA dance a bit, that I am
not very familiar with SCA dance *in Atlantia*.  I don't know what dances
are common/familiar, nor what variations you may have on ones I'm used
to.  So I'm looking forward to travelling a bit and maybe enticing somone
to come to the local group and hold a dance workshop for the individuals I
can round up.

I have a question/possibility to pose:  I was hoping to be able to arrange
dancing at the hotel after University if there was interest, but I don't
think we can get the room I had in mind without a charge.  If there IS a
lot of interest, I will talk to the autocrat about whether we might be able
to get the conference room or another site inexpensively.

Finally, I do have one more question....the Academie website mentions a CD
of dance music.  Where can I lay hands on one, and for how much?  Or if I
contribute a blank disk, can I get a copy?  I will be at University, if it
would be possible to make a transfer there.

In service, enjoying myself immensly,

Lady Kat