academie: Potential Set list for Assessments

Brian Sidlauskas bsidlauskas at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 29 09:25:08 PDT 2000

Hi Margaret,

The interminable discussion over Hole in the Wall notwithstanding, there's nothing wrong with any of the dances that you have chosen.  I'd suggest, however, that you include a few more slow or stately dances.  Your list is mostly Bransles and English Country, which are near the top of the energy level (though not so high as something like a Galliard).  I'd suggest adding the Belle Qui Pavan, either the Black, Lorayne or Queen's Alman, and one slow Italian (Amoroso, Rostiboli, Gelosia) if you feel up to that repertoire.

If you stick with your earlier selection, here's a potential playlist.

Gathering Peascods
Horse's Bransle
Jenny Pluck Pears
Washerwoman's Bransle
Sellenger's Round
Petit Vriens
Newcastle
Maltese Bransle
Rufty Tufty
Official Bransle
Black Nag
Hole In The Wall

This begins and ends with popular dances for as many as will. It alternates dance genres as much as possible.  The hardest dance (Newcastle) is followed by the easiest (SCA Maltese). Hole in the Wall is at the end, so that it can be continued as long as you deem appropriate without displacing any other dances.

Hope that helped.

Also, I will be leaving the Kingdom in one short week, but I will remain on the mailing list for the time being.  It was wonderful to be with you all and I wish you the best of luck with the Academie.

In Service and Song,

Galeran Chanterel