Re: Oly-improvements

Greg Lindahl (gl8f@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU)
Sat, 8 Jul 1995 03:23:42 GMT

In article <3th8t0$fm5@news.aero.org>,
Scott Turner <srt@sun-dimas.aero.org> wrote:

>Since Greg has made this assertion a couple of times, let me just
>throw in that I don't agree. Trade through Faery isn't trivial -- at
>the very least it requires an elfstone, good knowledge of Faery and
>its connections, and time to travel to and from faery hills.

Oleg got a good map of faery and its connections without much trouble
-- which is why he thinks going through Faery is much faster than
sailing for most trade routes. I bet Dr. Pain doesn't have a very good
idea of how hard it is to get a map of faery, seeing as his alliance
has 2 castles there.

>But I will agree that having Faery or some other shortcut (and there
>are plenty others) makes very long distance trading possible.

Faery's the best shortcut for taking armies. Both Hades and gates have
severe limits. Faery doesn't. That's why Greg dislikes it. Bad for
play balance.

-- greg (and Oleg who answered a few questions)