Re: Ultimate Goals in Olympia

Greg Lindahl (gl8f@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU)
Thu, 19 Jan 1995 21:24:33 GMT

In article <3fm7t2$2jm@news.aero.org>,
Scott Turner <srt@sun-dimas.aero.org> wrote:

>Olympia is unique in that it tries to create a game environment which
>can encompass both "wargamers" and "roleplayers".

Actually, Beyond the Stellar Empire did the same thing over a decade
ago, and most games designed to be "open-ended" try to please both crowds.

>Maybe the dissatisfaction comes from the inequity of the situation.
>The wargamers can, to a real degree, ignore the roleplayers, but not
>vice versa.

The wargamers can ignore the incompetant roleplayers, yes. But some of
the roleplayers out there have big beastmaster stacks, and others
think that fun roleplaying means having a castle and plenty of troops,
and crusading against e-vile. Oleg isn't the only one of those, and
personally I would classify my actions in Olympia as roleplaying.

-- g