I would ask why are current players able to tell who is new and in
fact could even tell if a character was in a particular area (in
Olympia I guess this is a province). Unless a character is particularly
noteworthy (high prestige or notoriety), he should not appear on
someone elses turn report. Alternatively, a character could travel
incognito, trying to conceal his identity. This would be a function
that is turned on or off by player order. Whether or not a character
is noticeable should be up to the player.
In a commercial PBM I am in, characters can be spotted by:
1) Casting a locate on an artifact they have.
2) Casting a locate on a character name.
3) Depending on size of population center, a character may be
noticed, but cannot be seen in a wilderness square.
4) Having a spy poke around for noteworthy characters.
5) If the character is traveling with an army, some information
spells will spot him